FIWARE and Smart City App Hack organize the FIWARE-SCAH Online competition, an app competition open to all apps using FIWARE tools and technologies within the Smart City areas of interest. The object of the competition is to give visibility and recognition to the best apps utilizing FIWARE and to attract more developers to incorporate them.
Eligibility and Submissions
In order to be eligible to this competition, candidates must submit their apps to the Online Competition, that includes apps created or developed within the SCAH incubation process and any other app fulfilling the following criteria:
- Applications must effectively use at least one of the available FIWARE technologies (as seen in www.fiware.org)
- The maturity level of the submitted applications must be as Minimum Viable Product (MVP) or Technology Readiness Level TRL 6 .
- Applications must serve one of the areas defined on the competition website – smartcityapphack.com. The jury maintains the right to disqualify any app not following these conditions and criteria for participation.
- The competition is open to apps running on ANY mobile platform (iOS, android, windows, etc). Web apps are also considered valid.
- Applicants can submit more than one app. However only one app from each applicant can be chosen as a winning app.
- Actual commercial availability at the time of submission is not required but the audience and judges must be able to see/test the app (either provide a link to a store or to a private hosting of the app).
- Submissions and presentations to the Online Competition are free and open to any developer, team or firm. All participants must be 18 or older. Underage participants will be considered with written acknowledgement from their parents or legal guardians.
- Apps are submitted on the Online Competition through the AppCircus platform at appcircus.com. Terms and Conditions of AppCircus apply.
Submissions will be open from September, 1st until October, 15th, 2015. Dotopen may extend the voting period with the corresponding publicity.
Out of the eligible submissions, a winner will be chosen by public voting during the Online competition on the Smart City App Hack site based on the votes gathered through a social media enabled voting system (using Twitter unique user login). Only one vote (tweet) per person is considered as a valid vote. dotopen will take reasonable measures to detect any fraudulent use of the voting system and transactions will be monitored (gathering IP and user data) to deliver accurate results. If an app receives irregular votes or multiple votes from the same user or users, including but not limited to, votes generated by a robotic, programmed, script, macro, other automated means or other source, the app may be disqualified.
The online vote will take place from October, 16th until October, 26th, 2015. Dotopen may extend the voting period with the corresponding publicity.
Among the eligible submissions, a panel of FIWARE experts and partners will select three (3) apps as cash prize winners, according to the following criteria:
- Effectiveness and intensity in the integration and use of FIWARE technologies within the app.
- Addresses the focus areas proposed within SCAH (www.smartcityapphack.com) and solves a real user’s need
- Quality of user interface
- Technical and operational feasibility
- Economic and financial sustainability
- Creativity and innovation
In addition, among the eligible submissions, up to four (4) apps will be selected as GSMA Showcase prize winners, according to the following criteria:
- An E2E integrated demonstrator using the following elements:
- Use of IoT Backend Device Management GE (IDAS) to get data from sensors and devices
- Use the NGSI Context Broker GE (Orion) to gather/publish/reuse data from IoT and possibly other context sources.
- Working on any of the SCAH Smart City topics.
- Willing to extract and curate data models for the selected application domain.
Last but not the least, among the eligible submissions, up to two (2) apps will be selected as FIWARE Acceleration prize winners, according to the following criteria:
- Because of the European nature of FIWARE Accelerator Program, only apps from European SMEs and Web entrepreneurs (legal entities from any FP7 eligible country, fully compliant with EU tax and Social Security obligations) can apply.
- The applications have to demonstrate good usage of FIWARE GEs, with relevant role the architecture.
- The solution must be credible, create impact and address a relevant problem or user/ market needs.
- The business model should be feasible and realistic and the team should demonstrate to have the required commitment and skills to be successful.
- The candidate accelerators, and their domain and conditions is as follows:
- INCENSe: Smart City in the area of Energy, as Smart Grids, energy efficiency and renewable energies, sustainable mobility and electric car in the city
- SOUL-FI: Smart City topics related to Smart Mobility, Tourism, Collaboration and Shopping.
The jury is entitled to declare any of the prizes void if none of the applicants meet the requirements at the expected level of quality. As for the acceleration prizes, the sponsor accelerators will assess the legal eligibility of the winners to sign the subgrant contracts.
FIWARE cash prizes
As a result of the online vote and the jury selection the following prizes will be awarded at the Smart City World Expo in Barcelona, November 2015:
Best FIWARE App: €5,000
Second Best FIWARE App: €3,000
Third Best FIWARE App: €1,500
Online Vote Winning FIWARE App: €500
GSMA IoT showcase prize
Additionally selected applications where IoT and NGSI aspects are properly integrated will take part of the IoT GSMA Showcase at the Mobile World Congress in March 2016 in Barcelona. The prize consists on gaining access to MWC, with specific slots for demonstration of the application or solution along the event.
INCENSe acceleration prize
Out of the eligible apps, INCENSe will grant 1 one of its 24 Acceleration packages within its 2nd INCENSe Acceleration Round, including:
- Up to 150.000,00€ funding, no refundable, with no equity;
- Acceleration package of up to 60 hours (10 hours average per month) of coaching and mentorship from leading experts and experienced business developers, including Camps and Accelerator Labs
- Access to testing out the technology or solution on real ENEL and ENDESA customers and test beds in Spain, Denmark and Italy
- Possibility of follow-up investments by ENEL, ENDESA, ACCELERACE or FBOX, who already operate investment funds and have string networks in the European investments community.
SOUL-FI acceleration prize
Up to two (2) Ignition and Business Plan Acceleration programmes: development of a Business Plan for an innovative and business potential idea applying FIWARE technology:
- 3-months Acceleration programme
- Prize money: €10.000, non refundable, with no equity
- Assignment of a tutor to each company for the total period of the programme. The tutor will meet (personally or web), to support company development and follow up company activities during the acceleration programme. Tutors are consortium members with experience on supporting and developing companies;
- Access to one-to-one mentoring sessions with internal mentors and success/ failure entrepreneurs;
- Business and FIWARE technologies webinar, training and direct support;
- Opportunity to have active roles in SOUL-FI and FI-PPP events;
- Access to Crowdfunding;
- Access to FI-Business training packages and actions;
- Promotion through SOUL-FI, FIWARE Accelerators and FI-PPP;
- Be part of SOUL-FI and FIWARE SME Communities;
Delivery of the Prizes to the Prize Winner(s)
In order to arrange the delivery of the prizes, participants will be directly contacted by email by the organizers (dotopen and FIWARE partners) on November 2015 the latest and will be asked to provide:
- full name
- ID/passport number
- telephone number
- other personal or company information necessary to make delivery effective (e.g. bank account).
All winners will be announced publicly at Smart City Expo in Barcelona
Use of Image authorization
Participants of the SCAH – FIWARE competition authorize the use by its organizers (dotopen and FIWARE), of any and all photographs, video, voice recordings, or other media taken of them including derivative works thereof (collectively, the “Images”), and any reproduction of them in any form in any third-party media whatsoever, for communication and promotional reasons.
© 2015, dotopen, S.L.. All rights reserved.